Another problem has emerged in my Vegetable garden last week. As you may recall, I spent over a week last year attempting to perfect my designs for a shield to protect my vegetables from the marauding beaks of my Geese. I seemed to eventually settle on a couple of solutions which appeared to work, one was a high wire frame (for my climbing beans and peas), the other was a low level dome (for my Lettuce and Broccoli).
The other day when I went to water my plants after several high temperature days, to discover that all my Broccoli plants had been eaten and several lettuce plants were devoured. Upon discovering this I stood in shock, staring at the scene of the crime in an attempt to deduce what had occurred. The plants were several inches below the wire, so I could not see how an animal could reach them. I considered that maybe a snail or slug did this, yet we had not had rain for several days and I doubt this much damage could be done so quickly by such small creatures. In my investigation I pressed down on the top of the wire dome and I found that with a little pressure the wire would lay on top of the vegetables growing underneath. I realised that one of the Geese must have climbed onto the wire and was then able to have free access to the vegetables. I places some wooden stakes through the wire to prevent this from happening again, yet the majority of the damage has been done. I will have to wait weeks for the Broccoli to grow back (if they ever recover) and some of my best Lettuce, from some of which I had intended to collect seeds, have now been destroyed.
I am already making plans on how to prepare the Geese when I catch them. While they are doing some work for me, I know they are more work than they are worth. I just have to be in the mood to catch them and process them.