Beautiful weekend days allowed me to be outside for the majority of Saturday and Sunday. I have had big plans for lots of planting in the garden.
I planted 8 trees, 14 shrubs, the remainder of my herb seedlings, and a bunch of different seeds. I ran out of plants so I had to stop, yet I intend to get some more this week. For those of you keeping a tally, I planted:
- 3 Apple Trees (one Flamenco Ballerina, One Pink Lady and one Gala)
- 1 Cherry
- 1 Nectarine,
- 1 Peach
- 1 Lemon,
- 1 Bay
- 1 Pomegranate
- 6 Blueberry,
- 3 Raspberry
- 1 Black Current
- 1 White Current
- 3 Kiwi (One male, two female)
Kitty expressed her concern about my planting of the trees. She, again, was unsure about planting the trees so close to the shrubs. She also didn’t like my decision to plant so many herbs and seeds. I told her that the worse thing would be that the seeds and herbs don’t work. If they work, we will have more than we can handle. Kitty expressed her concern that we may have more herbs than we would need. I said if that is the case, it would be awesome. We could use them, dry them, give them away, sell them. I mentioned this in an earlier post, that I am trying to recreate the concept of a Fruit Forest. I am still a total novice at this, so I am fumbling my way through it.
In addition to this, I spent some time inside, pulling down walls. Kitty has asked me to rip down some wall cavities to increase the size of our lounge room. The previous owners had placed some large cupboards and shelves into alcoves in the lounge room. It appears that she had hired someone to come and wall up the areas around the alcoves so that it appeared that the cupboards were part of the wall. When I removed the cupboards, we found a larger cavity behind, which Kitty wanted to utilise. This has led me to whipping out the heavy duty tools (such as crowbar, sledge hammer, etc.) to start demolishing the wall. This was much harder than Kitty thought it might be, taking over an hour to only half finish the one alcove. After around an hour of breathing in plaster dust I decided to call it a day. I will get back to finishing this a bit later.