As part of my goal of developing and improving on 13 skills in 2013 I have become a member of 13 in 13. This site helps me to track my path to reach this goal as well as provides me with the community to both inspire and teach me. While I have not completed any of my 13 skills, it is only March and I feel I am well on the way to reach my goals.
- Get out of Debt
- Building Community
- Blade Sharpening
- Animal Husbandry
- Computer Skills
- Dog Training
- Wine Making
- Self Defense
- Food Storage
- Animal Husbandry
I realise that I have committed to more than 13 skills. This is because there is so much I want to learn I had to add additional skills. If any of my readers are interested in following my progress you can find me on the 13 in 13 site under my member name Seryph.
Now, to continue towards completing number 6 on my list, I will go into details on my composting process.
It has been four day since I created my compost pile and I felt it was time to turn it. I checked the temperature by sticking my arm in the pile. I estimate the temp was in the high 30 degrees C. The heat being generated by the compost demonstrates that it is working, as the microbes within generate heat as a by product of the break down of organic matter. This by product is one of the essential aspect of compost creation as it kills any pathogens contained in the manure and also destroys weeds.
The process of turning the pile of compost begins with pealing the outside layer off and placing it nearby so that it will become the bottom layer in the newly created compost pile. The bottom of the pile seems to turn to compost faster, so the layer that was on the outside (not generating heat) is now on the bottom (the hottest area). The bottom seems to generate more heat due to the increased amount of air that can get to the area.
While I am peeling each layer off I pay attention to the activity I can see. I notice that on second layer many of the previously green leaves had turned black due to the heat burning the them.
I continued to take each layer from the original pile and place it on the new pile. As I reached the centre of the pile I could smell the very distinct odor of quality compost. This was a very good sign, especially as it was only 4 days into the process. I completed the process and before I finished to took another photo to show the completed pile before I covered it with the tarp.