This weekend I have completed another of my 13 skills – Animal Husbandry. I initially started with a simple goal, and my plan reflected this.
“I have lost too many chicks and ducklings in the last two weeks due to in attentive mothers. I have taken in the survivors to raise myself.
I have also successfully bred one of my rabbits who produced 6 kits.
I feel that should 50% survive of each species than I would expect that I have learned enough to count this skill as completed.”
I felt that 50% survival rate was a realistic goal… especially considering that all my last few batches died. It has taken me around about 4 months, yet I am happy to write that ALL the babies survived! My original plan was to grow them for the table, yet with some recent losses of ducks, our low chicken count, and the fact that I don’t need all that rabbit meat at the moment, led me to putting off butchering the animals.
In addition to this skill I am also making great progress towards my networking skill. I traded two live rabbits for a large quantity of lamb… two legs, a shoulder, some shanks and the skirt. I cooked some of this for dinner this evening and it was so delicious. My youngest son enjoyed it so much he wouldn’t leave the table, he just kept eating the lamb.
The producer of the meat is happy to trade for more and is also willing to sell me some live sheep so that I can begin breeding my own. I will look into this later in the year. For now I am more than happy to get such high quality meat.