I have moved the completed Chicken Tractor into my neighbours paddock. This was a Herculean task in of itself, one rife with pain and suffering. Kitty cut her hand on the Barbwire fence, I hurt my back, it was a bit of a warzone. In the end, the tractor was moved, and the chickens placed into their new location.
These chickens don’t seem to be eating as much grass as my other chicks, yet when I move the tractor there are visible signs on the grass that they have been eating. I will have to keep an eye on this. I don’t want them going without food, obviously, yet I need to get them to eat grass. I can not find any documentation that will tell me how to get them to do this, so I will have to work it out for myself.
After my first great wild mushroom harvest (are they still wild mushrooms if I grow them?) I have not seen any great improvement in my mushrooms since my first harvest. I am worried that I have messed it up by taking some… perhaps I harvested too soon? Anyway, I can see that the Mycellium is still growing, just no mushrooms are growing out of the bag. I will wait to see.
I made a new batch of beer last night, the first in about a year, if I recall correctly. I chose to use Morgan’s Amber Ale as a base, adding Dextrose and Morgan’s Caramalt as additional Malt. I talked to a chap at the beer brewing supplier, who told me that this will give it a Caramel flavour to enhance the Amber Ale (which already has a slight caramel hint). I have never done this before, so I am curious as to how it works out.
My worm farm is really working well at the moment. I mentioned that the farm wasn’t producing tea, which was a problem, yet I can handle that. I noted the other week that there were increased amounts of small flies (Apparently they are called Vinegar Flies) around the farm. There were so many that I would have to close my eyes and mouth when I opened the worm farm, as they went everywhere. I discovered that they are due to the fact that I have over fed the worms. The worms could not cope with the larger amount of food, so the flies were able to find a place to lay eggs. I have stopped feeding the worms for a little while, removing all the uneaten waste products. I am happy to advise that the amount of flies has dropped dramatically, and the worms look so much happier. I have also discovered that their castings seem a lot better, more solid, so hopefully the worm farm is healthier than it was last week.