“The trees that are slow to grow bear the best fruit.” – Moliere

I am becoming more and more aware of the quickly approaching deadline to my 13 skills challenge, specifically how doubtful I have become as to whether I will be able to achieve my target.  I have already completed 4, of my targeted 13 skills; developing skills such as Sprouting and butchering, as well as improving my skills of Animal Husbandry and Organisational skills.

I had plans to complete all my skills this year, yet I never expected to be selling my house.  What have I learned?  Life has a way of interrupting my plans…. basically prepare for the worst.  While I might not meet my goal, I can keep trying till the 1 Jan 2014.

I have plans over the next few weeks to attempt to complete as many as I can before the end of the year.  Keeping this in mind, I have been working on managing my garden.  Last week I made some modifications to my garden beds to prevent loss of produce to the ravenous appetites of my Geese.  My wire mesh domes appeared to be the perfect solution… allowing good stuff in, keep bad things out.  I underestimated the will of my Geese because I failed to notice the the holes in the wire were wide enough to allow an inquisitive bill past.  Basically, the Geese ate all the leaves within 5cm of the wire.  This damaged the plants, yet they are still alive (Although, the Geese still don’t touch the Garlic).  I have modified the wire again (version 3?) for my bean and pea bed.

DSCN1421

This was completed by using different lengths of salvaged wire from other areas of the property and, using stakes, creating a barrier to prevent the Geese from grazing.  I also bent the wire over the top of the beds to protect them from any other flying pest.  Hopefully this is the last version for the season.

My lettuce bed was safe from my Geese because the plants are too low to be plucked (yet I am already enjoying fresh lettuce in our dinner salads).  I have kept the wire over this bed as my “version 2” wire dome.

DSCN1423

Apart from these two beds, I am having some good results with my potatoes… or at least so it appears.   I have spent 3-4 years now attempting to grow potatoes in towers made of old tires.  I once read that this was the best method (I can’t recall the source…. I believe it was on some gardening website around 10 years ago) and I rarely get more than a couple of dozen, all being in the bottom level.  I believe I have pinpointed my error… I usually keep the soil tightly packed in the tires… this year I am trying loose soil.  I will let you know how it works out.

DSCN1426

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *