“There is one consolation in being sick; and that is the possibility that you may recover to a better state than you were ever in before.” – Henry David Thoreau

The eggs which I placed in my incubator hatched… exactly 21 days after I turned on the machine.  When this happens, when I help life be born (or hatched) it fills me with a great sense of joy and accomplishment.  I asked Kitty to assist by taking a little video of the first to hatch from their egg.

This one is pretty bold, after the video was shot it was walking all over my hand, causing me to have to take steps to stop it from leaping off several times.  So far, nine chicks have hatched from the incubator and are currently in the brooder box.  I hope that one or two more might make it out of their shells (I know that one has died in it’s shell, having failed to make a hole to break out of, which is pretty sad).

Here is the adventurous little fellow.

On Monday night I decided to try to make yogurt, using the Erica Straus method.  I had heard her on the Survival Podcast a while ago and I always intended to try this, so Monday seemed like the best time to do it.  I almost followed Erica’s instructions to the letter (apart from the part where she used an Oven Warming draw.  I don’t have that so I used a Yogurt maker container).  The Yogurt came out looking great, it was a good texture and tasted pretty good (although as it was plain yogurt it was a little bland).  I did notice that a couple of hours after tasting it for the first time I experience some stomach pain, yet I put that down to working too hard in the garden.

I used my EasyYo container to make the yogurt. It didn’t turn out as great as I had hoped.

The next day I took the container of yogurt to work, and after adding a teaspoon of honey, I ate the container for my afternoon snack.  Well, ate wasn’t really what I did, I had to drink it as it had become very runny.  When I arrived home the stomach cramps began… I am sure that it was related to the yogurt.  The pain began to increase until I had to lay down.  Turned out that I didn’t really make Yogurt, I cooked up a batch of food poisoning.  I suspect that the yogurt culture I added was no good… it was close to expiry.  I am going to take a break from trying this, yet when I try again, I will be sure that the culture is as fresh as possible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *