“We adore chaos because we love to produce order.” – M. C. Escher

WP_20150126_005
This picture has nothing to do with the post… I just liked this recent photo of one of my chickens.

 

It has been a while since I discussed my Worm Farm.  Just so you know, it is going very well, the worms seem to be breeding (as there are lots of worms), and I have added another layer to the farm, so that the worms have room to move.  The worms in the farm are a species called “Tiger Worms”, they have stripes on them and are surprisingly fast.  I need to be careful when working with them as they can get away from me fast.  I wouldn’t mind some going missing, yet they apparently can not survive in natural soil (The Wikipedia article states that they are found in rotting vegetation).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenia_fetida

 

One of the big draws of owning a worm farm is the “Compost Tea” which is produced.  It is apparently a great fertiliser which can be produced by gathering the urine of the worms and diluting it in water.  My worm farm has a special facet at the bottom of the structure to gather the liquid within.  When I recently went to drain this I found that there was nothing to gather.  Either the facet leaks (most likely), or they are not producing any due to conditions in the farm.

 

I decided that as there was no Compost Tea from the worm urine, I would gather some by taking the Worm Castings (worm manure) and allowing it to sit in a bucket of water for a few days (to allow the nutrients to leach from the material and to dilute).

 

It is now officially the last month of summer.  The temperature has dropped a little, especially these last few days, causing us to have to light our fire in the afternoon to keep the house warm.  People are telling me that it is unseasonably cold, yet I have checked the weather history for the region and it is within the parameters.  Still, this has reminded me that summer is fading and I will need to prepare the house for the winter months.  I spent an hour on the weekend cutting up wood and stacking it under cover.  This was from an old tree which fell on my property a few months ago.  The wood is so dry that I can easily pick up a 2 metre long section!  I only cut enough for a week’s worth of burning, as I had other things to work on.

WP_20150126_004

The next part of my winter preparation was to re-pot some of my tomato plants into larger containers.  As I have previously mentioned, I have been growing seedlings in my greenhouse.  The work is pretty easy as I only need to tend them daily and ensure they are watered.  Now they are large enough that they could use re-potting to give their roots some room to grow.  I could either plant them outside, or re-port them.  As the weather is turning, I thought that I would experiment with growing them within the greenhouse.  I may be able to produce some summer vegetables over winter.  I am not 100% sure that this will work… I recall from my tile studying Biology that plants are sensitive to the length of darkness in the day, modifying their behavior to less daylight as it would in Winter.  I suspect that although the plants may be warmer in the greenhouse, they would note the decrease in the daylight hours and possibly not produce any food.  It is a chance I think I am willing to take.

 

I will inter space the Tomatoes with peas (as we enjoy them fresh), as well as a couple of winter plants (Pumpkin, etc.).  I have already planted pumpkin in my garden, yet I am doubtful that they will grow before winter, so it might require me to move them into pots within the greenhouse.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *